View Single Post
Old 5 Aug 2020, 13:16 (Ref:3993130)   #219
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffman66 View Post
John, no I do not read it and I have worked in the print media before so know full well what it takes to put magazines together both weekly and monthly, so please be careful accusing people of things you think you know about, when perhaps you may not know about the person you are accusing.

I stopped reading and buying it 20 odd years ago, it is far too expensive for what is basically processed press releases most of the time, race reports that are not very interesting, and clutter. it is not difficult to make, especially now with emails etc and the ability to send copy electronically, when I was involved all pictures were scanned, sent by courier until the deadline, all copy was just about word processed on yonk old PC's using Apple programs that did not work properly, press day was insane, 12 hours usually, often more, and then laying out the copy for the week ahead, it is not hard, it is planning, awareness and getting the right people doing their jobs, like any other company. Most of it is written by contributors, even more so now, all that is done by the staff is layout, bits of copy and direction etc ideas. Not the writing as much as they once did.

If you think it is worth the price, fair enough, but because you do there will always be people who disagree just as strongly. but dont try and make journos out to be martyrs or the like, I know a few of them and the opposite it true.
And much of this, as far as Autosport is concerned, is also incorrect, so I adhere to what I said. I cannot comment on other mags, nor would I presume to do so. However, I don't need to know who you are or what you have done, to be able to say that Autosport is neither an LAT pic fest, nor a catalogue, and since you admit that you don't even read it, and haven't done for 20 years, you're clearly not in a position to offer any assessment, or indeed some of the embellishments that you have now so kindly proffered. I therefore thank you for giving me the opportunity to correct you.
"It's pure joy. This was the perfect training for the WEC after a summer of not racing, even though the car is faster than LMP2." Nicolas Minassian after lapping at 123mph in the Group C Jaguar XJR-14, setting a new outright lap record for the historic GP circuit at Silverstone Classic in 2013!