Thread: The SAAB died
View Single Post
Old 25 Oct 2000, 13:05 (Ref:44715)   #23
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The Ex-SAAB, the SAAB which is no more,the SAAB which has gone to meet its maker....

It was a 1989 900S with 112,000 miles. It suffered from chronic cooling system problems, whose origans were never traced correctly until it was too late.
About a year ago in this forum, there was a long discussion about SAABs, and it seemed that I was the only "proud" owner of one here. The late vehicle in question had formerly been owned by my mother-in-law. By the time it passed to us, it was already elderly, but I was informed it still had some life left in it. As much as I hated it, my wife adored it and she was the one driving home late from work when it blew its head gasket, pumping steam and oil smoke into the passenger compartment. The cost of geting it fixed was greater than the value of the car and we decided that it deserved a burial with honors.

On the question of "American Iron", my parent's last American car was a 1955 Chevrolet Bel Aire two-door wagon, in a "Lovely" two-tone green paint scheme. Since 1960, my parents have had 3 Renaults, including a Dauphine, 6 SAABs( various 99's, a 900, a Sonnett and a 95 wagon), 2 Volvos, 2 [Acura] Integras, and a Subaru Forester.

Having lived in New York until 5 years ago, I didn't get my first car until 1995. It was a Saturn, to have been replaced by the aforementioned SAAB, the Passat and the Golf.