View Single Post
Old 19 Jan 2013, 13:38 (Ref:3191458)   #44
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
I agree with a number of Thaw's points.

a) poor health of the regional series being an issue for the WEC
b) chassis sales

To expand upon this, I've suggested from the outset that this was the wrong format, for what is essentially a world championship, to satisfy the demands on the manufacturers in P1. The nature of the WEC is one of a predatory series, taking potential entries from the ELMS and ALMS. The addition of a World Championship, should have been something to strengthen the LM brand, not weaken it. I stated from the beginning, that the WEC should have been a travelling P1 manufacturers road show, participating at ELMS, ALMS and AsLMS (cough) events. By participating in existing series races, they will increase the draws at those events, creating stronger events, more media, more attendance, etc. at these events. In addition, by restricting the WEC to the P1 manufacturers, you are keeping the regional events strong, by restricting where other entrants can run. The goal should be to strengthen the brand at all points, not to compete against each other. The ALMS certainly had it's issues before the WEC, but given Panoz' seemingly bitter comments, it appears to have been a factor in throwing in the towel.

Chassis/engine availability - We have 2014 new rules chassis coming for P1. Who is going to bother building such things when the only place you can run them is WEC? This is not a large enough market for the boutique manufacturers to make a profit. It isn't healthy to see the options for the privateers disappear...

While people can complain about dooms sayers, and not knowing the future, I'd suggest what is happening was rather predictable. The P1 chassis solution is going to have to be allowing P2 chassis run as P1, with some sort of minor modifications to allow them to be almost competitive.. obviously more powerful engines. That and creating a system, where the manufacturers are required to sell chassis to privateers.

Of course they get to hit the reset button with the 2014 rules, but the reality is America is completely out of the picture now for years to come. We'll see if this can get on it's feet without that market available.