View Single Post
Old 21 Jan 2014, 23:53 (Ref:3356892)   #22
LagunaSnaka
Rookie

LagunaSnaka should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
+1
Laguna would be a great choice for a WEC event. They have a history of holding intl events...FIA GT in the late 1990's etc -- more recently Moto GP

The long format ALMS races were a big draw at Laguna. Sadly fans won't get that with TUSC this year.
Additionally, Laguna Seca as a track is "down" 2 events in 2014 losing Moto GP and the Grand-Am weekends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Woodbury View Post
If the WEC Austin race is in doubt, why not Laguna Seca?

Yes I know this will pose a few "what the hell are you talking about" questions but let me explain myself.

- Laguna is, in my opinion, one of the top tracks in the US, in terms of facilities and overall track condition/upkeep, behind of COTA of course.

- Yes I understand it is one of the shortest tracks that the WEC would race on but lets be honest, it would add yet another unique venue to the calendar.

- Pit space would not be a problem since the ALMS and Grand-Am have been running with 30-35+ cars there for years. Track size (width) would not be a problem either.

- A strong sports car tradition surrounds Laguna Seca and I would hopefully expect the WEC to receive a strong attendance rating at the track if in fact they were to establish a date.

- MotoGP used to run there, why not the WEC?

- The WEC would run separately to the USCC at a different time of year, as a combined weekend would be utterly impossible due to the sheer number of feature race entries and support series entries.

- Laguna has proper pit side garage stalls (I think it was for MotoGP) for any WEC team that cannot set up a transporter tent.

Now a strong counter-argument against running the WEC at Laguna would have to be that the track itself is not FIA Grade 1 approved, however Sebring wasn't either.

Well, that is about all I can think of for a sports car racing fan that lives on the other side of the country from Laguna. What do you think?