View Single Post
Old 16 Jun 2009, 19:53 (Ref:2484734)   #63
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Sweeney View Post
Great thread chaps! stumbled in by accident, good fun reading so far.

A couple of comments which might muddy the waters further...The MGC used a 6 cyl engine very similar to the Healey 3000 unit, in fact sharing piston dimensions but not a whole load else (from memory). Can't remember the BMC engine designation but it's not the 'C' type engine...that's the Healey 6 cyl engine designation, a much older generation motor as per the 'A' and 'B' series engines of similar period.

Relevance? well, Abingdon commisioned at least two aluminium blocks for the Healey BJ8 works rally efforts, and I think one was fitted to the stillborn '67 RAC car which Arthur Carter owned. The other/another we resurrected for Chatham in the '80s and stuck some new liners in.

However, I don't recall ever seeing an all-alloy MGC engine, but terribly happy to be corrected - damn I wish the memory worked better!
As an aside,GRX 307D still survives in its purest form,having NEVER been restored/*******ized since its purchase from the works by Sid Beer.

The memory is'nt that bad,the 67 RAC Healey still has the alloy engine.