View Single Post
Old 17 Jun 2009, 06:57 (Ref:2484993)   #69
Mike Sweeney
Rookie

Mike Sweeney should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by VIVA GT View Post
To clarify the engine situation please visit www.aronline.co.uk then in the side menu enlarge the 'Facts and Figures' sub menu, then 'Engines' and click C-series. (Sorry but I was unable to copy a direct link to this page, hence the lengthy explanation.
I also bet that if you find this thread interesting, you'll spend quite a bit of time wallowing in the nostalgia on the aronline web site!
Wow, one sentence and it came back; 7 main bearings. I was obviously wrong about the designation 'C' series - both AH and MG engines referred to as this; however as I said, they are completely different engines, essentially sharing bore and stroke and critical piston dimensions only.

With the MGC type engine only being made in limited numbers across its' short lifespan, and the block being cast with a lot less meat than the 'old' 'C' series (weight saving..) I can't see they'd have chanced an aluminium block. If they did...not sure I'd risk using one now without some serious NDT and a set of modern liners..

Regarding the cloning of chassis/reg numbers, many people knew about what had happened, to what car and when, and this started to reach a head in the late '80s and early '90s when historic race and rally cars with even a sniff of provenance were making massive money at auctions. Some of that knowledge will have become twisted or got lost with time, but for competition AH and MGC info I'd start by asking Chatham. Not sure what became of (son)Joe and Pete Ford - they worked in the business daily so would know plenty of tales..