Thread: BREAKAWAY
View Single Post
Old 19 Jun 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2486598)   #108
djb
Veteran

djb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the griddjb should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO View Post
No good will come of this.

Max, Bernie, FOTA, Sir Frank, they are all screwing up a good thing.

It seems in all of this that some fundamental ideas have been forgotten.

The Fans should come first. The rules have gotten convoluted and arcane. Max is a tyrant. Bernie is greedy. The teams waste money. The tracks are boring. Racing is being promoted into markets that cannot fill the stands. Historic venues are being abandoned.

Yet despite this we have seen some amazing racing over the past few years.

If the FIA and FOTA do not compromise, I fear that the damage done will be as bad as it has been for CART and the IRL.

It's all rather depressing.
Hi Sir E, yup I agree with all your points--the CART/IRL scenario though I do feel is different, or at least not as depressing anyway.

The US situation I think was much more dependant or a result of a different fan base, I think the world F1 percentage of fans over the world who really know the sport and history etc is a different situation (especially given how the Stock car crowd popularity went up quite a lot after teh CART IRL split-marketing for sure, but more casual fans who enjoyed the "brawliness" of it over the snottiness of open wheeler--not articulating well here but I hope you get my drift)

I would hope that the European appreciation of the "pinnacle" of motorsport (along with the flash and pizazz of F1 in general) will mean that a two series thing would never really happen.

It just seems to me that common sense could lead to tech compromises that would really lead to a teams cost reduction (and not something silly like a tire warmer, but uber expensive doohickies of which there are oodles)

Obviously the teams are always going to have to be dragged kicking and screaming into compromises (always has been no?) especially when a team has a bagful of expensive doohickies already made and/or inherent in their cars design. But hasnt the kicking and screaming always been part of the dance of this sport?

I guess for me, so much of this is the clash of personalities of the people at the top, as there must surely be reasonable compromises to be made here.