View Single Post
Old 11 Dec 2022, 12:02 (Ref:4136776)   #133
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTCC frog View Post
It looks as though steps to at least reduce DRS may be on the horizon:

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/f1...rawn/10407071/

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/fi...2023/10409217/

I am pleasantly surprised by this. Well done Ross Brawn, FIA. In my opinion, overtaking should be difficult. It is more entertaining to watch a car stuck behind another for several laps than breeze past easily, as long as the car behind is able to follow closely and have a go, and it also makes the art of racecraft, particularly in defence, more important.

It is a step in the right direction, and in my opinion DRS needs to go completely by 2026 at least.
I read of that a couple of days ago and thought about time..... then the day after read of Albert Park contradicting that statement with confirming a 4th DRS zone for the AGP in 2023. An increase in DRS.

As part of the track changes introduced this year they had planned to trial a 4th DRS in Friday practice back in April of this year. That trial did happen and some drivers said it was too dangerous to have the 4th zone in the area proposed through what used to be the chicane at the end of Lakeside Drive and has been straightened to be a flat out curve. it was scrapped following the Drivers’ Briefing due to safety concerns.

A year on, there is a strong desire to have it reinstated, with Australian Grand Prix boss Andrew Westacott saying he is very confident it will be used.
Quote:
“With the circuit modifications at Albert Park, there were meant to be four DRS zones,”

“There was meant to be a DRS zone around Lakeside, the fourth one that Fernando Alonso made some safety comments to the FIA Race Director [about].

“We’re optimistic, highly optimistic, that we will get that fourth DRS zone back for 2023, which is a wonderful addition to the competitiveness of the racing, and the overtaking in the racing.”
So what was said by drivers to be unsafe last year, and ditched mid meeting as a result, suddenly becomes safe this year. With no changes to the track to reduce the risk. Just a dismissive reaction by the organiser to a highly experienced drivers concerns backed by other drivers.

Driver safety? PFFFT. Its all about will the show, and if there are resulting incidents as a result, the DTS new wave F1 fans will love it.

So I take talk of DRS reductions with a pinch of salt given the reaction of a promoter