Thread: LM24 1980s Le Mans
View Single Post
Old 3 Aug 2005, 12:03 (Ref:1371024)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
1980s Le Mans

I've been looking through the entry lists for Le Mans in the '80s recently - yes, my life is that action-packed - and a few features strike me as being very different from more modern Le Mans.

1) Teams seemed either to field LOTS of cars (three or more, especially works teams) or else a single car; not that many 'regular' two-car teams.

2) It was fairly common for teams to field more than one kind of car; frequently, for example, a team would field a new Spice or Tiga or whatever and a year-old car. Sometimes teams would field two entirely different cars.

3) There were, of course, only two major classes for most of the 1908s - C1 and C2 - with occasional interlopers like the Mazdas running as GTPs.

Any thoughts?