View Single Post
Old 3 Jun 2023, 17:24 (Ref:4159538)   #2845
911thillclimber
Veteran

911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid911thillclimber should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Back to Shelsley Walsh this weekend, a full National and Midland Championship event, lots to sort out and a good opportunity to get some needed points.
6 drivers in the class.
Shelsley need BHP big time, it is so steep, and accurate gear changes from me...

3 practice runs today, practice and 2 race runs tomorrow. Hill was hot and dusty, but most went for it with a few frights along the way, all of us just off our personal bests.

My pb is 31.58 and has stood for some years on the old engine.
Best today was 32.47 and 2.14 start, 100 mph over the line.

As expected, the NORMA was in first place every run, me second, but the 7 litre Pilbeam hot on my heels.

On my 3rd practice, the car was humming well, even changed from 3rd to 2nd well at the right time, right place. Cracked on through the Esses and coming out the engine dropped to 5 cylinders all along the finishing straight.

My heart sank as it felt like it really was in trouble. Got parked up at the top and switched off, despondent and worried!

Fired straight up on the hill and drove down coasting in 2nd a dream...

I suspected sparks or fuel. The pump had been buzzing it's head off for a while, so i suspected fuel, simplest thing to check first.

Looked at the glass see-through filter and looked full of debris.

Removed and cleaned of hard dry debris, back in and the pump sounded right and the engine did too.

The material in the tank is breaking down (there since 1978) and this is the souce.

Need to think of a way to remove this old 'anti-slosh' material and re-fill with something modern. Will keep cleaning the filter in the meantime.

That cylinder loss took some time away and the speed over the finish line was 85 mph instead of 100 mph, so the Pilbeam 'just' got ahead!!

Hoping all will be back to normal for tomorrow when it counts.

Mike in his Zolfe GT had a bad morning (duff battery) but recovered to run well this afternoon.

Plan is 2nd or third tomorrow on both runs.

I think there is some afternoon live stream on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/Gog7ir8fvTY?t=4651

Last edited by 911thillclimber; 3 Jun 2023 at 17:34.