Thread: ELMS ELMS 2015 Discussion
View Single Post
Old 7 Nov 2014, 10:05 (Ref:3472449)   #22
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiana View Post
If they just started giving auto entries for winning some normal race, say "4 Hours of Estoril" without making any modifications to the race format, it would be almost as stupid exercise as double points Abu Boring Grand Prix. Yeah you'd probably get some extra entries but it would still be stupid. PLM standed out.

If they created 6 hours race in the midst of 4 hours out there somewhere as suggested earlier here, yes that would make it stand out more. But we know the ACO loves their steady, standardized calendars without expectations for the most part.

However, you remember what they did with Paul Ricard 8 Hours - which was rarity in itself - extra points when certain distance was reached. Think they should revive that event back and give auto entries from the winners of that. I'd like that, and also you had one "special event" that standed out from the sea of regular races.

The prospect of this happening is at least a tad more realistic than with my own number 1 preference, which would be to have at least one integrated event with the WEC in Europe, but obviously that is now never gonna happen due to the artificially capped grid for luxury & corporate reasons + attitude of the upper management.
If you look at a lot of tracks, especially the grade 1 ones, there's plenty of scope to accommodate the luxury and corporate demands. At Silverstone it's obvious that the Wing is massively underused at the WEC (and that's well before I can get started on the manifest number of things that Silverstone does wrong) and at Spa, while I've noticed Toyota have been using the suites above the old pits there's still a lot of open space out there that could be used.

Suspect it's unlikely to happen - simply down to the confusion of how many different classes etc there are, but at a track like Spa having a properly big grid like we had not too many years ago would be very much appreciated.