Old 11 Oct 2006, 20:18 (Ref:1735540)   #79
Chessmsport
Racer

England
Eastbourne
Chessmsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ascona i2000
A couple more names from the very early days. Ron field in a mega quick little avenger tiger. Bob Beumont in a lotus sunbeam. Havent heard of either for ages???
Have not heard of Ron Field or Mike Marlowe in years. Ron Field crashed the Avenger Mike Marlowe repaired it and ran it in Mod Prods I swapped it for my Prod Saloon Suzuki Swift and raced it a couple of times sold it to guy who is involved in the the Avenger and Sunbeam Owners Club who is rebuilding it at the moment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer
Did a blloke called Mike Marlowe have one for a while (was it Field's old car?) before racing a Sunbeam Lotus. I seem to remember a story about a Tiger getting badly pranged somewhere and it came back out once rebuilt driven by someone else?
Mike Marlowe raced the Lotus Sunbeam before the Avenger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Weyman
Bit of a sad tale with that car I think, it was a Sunbeam Talbot not a Tiger and I sold him the Group 2 Rally engine out of my Talbot when I went over to Chevvies after totalling the Sunbeam at Oulton. I am not sure whether it was that car or when in Lotus guise but as I recollect someone was killed in it while driving it, cannot remember the full details.
The car was crashed at Goodwood when Mike Marlowe hired the circuit for a day and the driver (who I cannot remember the name of) died of his injuries 10 days later.