View Single Post
Old 2 Feb 2003, 14:02 (Ref:493786)   #23
cathelly
Rookie

cathelly should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It was Judd's books that inspired me to write 24. I thought they were so utterly **** that I thought let's write a proper one! And wild horses couldn't drag me to watch 'Driven'. The thing about 24 is that I tried to make it as unsensational and un-soapy as I could - there's no deaths, gratuitous pile-ups or punch-ups. The politics and corporate shady dealings could all be straight out of the pages of 'the Business' newspaper (and what about Arrows last year? That was all straight out of a John Grisham novel!!). As a racefan I wanted the racing bits to be as detailed and authentic as possible. There is a fine line between bending reality and making an exciting story, though. For instance, in 24 the chronology of Le Mans week is jiggled a bit. In real life Friday is a rest day between qualifying and the race, but in 24 the story would have lost momentum if everyone had to hang about for a day, so out it went! Personally I can cope with that, whereas a small new team beating the big works teams on track would NOT be acceptable or believable...