View Single Post
Old 8 Nov 2019, 11:15 (Ref:3939205)   #171
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
There is a difference between flicking through to see if you want to buy it and actually reading part of it and putting it back. Or in the case of the bookshop example reading a few pages of a novel to judge it.

The point Peter is making is fair. For it to exist people have to pay for it. If you are reading it and not paying then those that read and pay are subsidising you. It’s like tax dodging. Or forgetting about VAT, I’m sure you think that cash in hand is fine, but it is subsided by those that pay properly.
Agreed. For a publication to be made, and then consumed, the costs have to be borne somewhere. This is usually a combination of advertising and cover price or subscription.
That is from the writer, through to printing, distribution and retail space.
If someone 'consumes' a publication without the consumption being paid for appropriately, then surely that is nothing but theft?

I don't see having an online subscription as an excuse either. That subscription is for consumption in digital format, and pays for the hosting services and other features. It does not cover printing, distribution and retail costs.