View Single Post
Old 12 Jan 2023, 18:05 (Ref:4139934)   #2036
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjohnsonsmith View Post
It is essentially a national championship, however I wouldn't have said it's at a similar level to F2 and I doubt the drivers and teams competing would agree.
Not what I said - in terms of relevance to F1 they are at a similar level, because F1 is a massive step up in magnitude because of the need to be a constructor (plus the world wide logistics, plus a range of other factors). Both F2 and IndyCar are about buying cars from a constructor and going racing - very different to F1 and either would be as relevant as each other to F1.

Taking away any reference to F1, personally I'd consider IndyCar at a higher level than F2 - not massively higher but still higher.

Anyway, back on topic - due to the history at Williams, it would be a great shame to see the team name go, but it's a different team these days in many respects, with different ownership and at some stage, it could well be re-branded. Although keeping the original name has been possible for McLaren, history of team sales generally suggests that the Williams name may well be removed from the grid at some point in future years.