Thread: Pay Drivers
View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2000, 16:04 (Ref:19623)   #1
MichaelC
Veteran

MichaelC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It seems that our sport is about to become basically head-to-head racing to see which motor manufacturer can build the quickest car. Fairly soon, we'll have seven and a half teams (Jordan almost count, Prost won't) which are works backed.
The other teams will have to find some form of at least semi-works backing to be able to compete.

I think it goes without saying that a works team will expect nothing short of outright victory, so where does this leave the pay-drivers??

Diniz came in on the back of sponsorship, was found to actually have some ability, and got a salaried drive.
Pedro DL Rosa looks destined for BAR after showing some talent too. I think there is also some potential for Gene, but I worry for the future careers of people such as Mazzacane, Tora Takagi, Ricardo Rosset, etc. who were only really in because someone coughed up a large wadge of cash and bought them a seat.

The best teams will want only the best drivers, and that is not usually a pay-driver. If you're good, your talent will be noticed, the Pedros being a case in point, but does anyone else agree that the future is certainly not bright or Orange for some of the less talented, but well-off drivers - if you are rich but poor, you need to get in quick or your chance will be gone??