View Single Post
Old 3 May 2015, 04:45 (Ref:3533379)   #59
ModelT
Rookie

ModelT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
When one considers that the Oreca 05 and OAK Ligier LMP2 cars were derived from LMP1 designs (the Ligier was based off of OAK's stillborn LMP1 project and the Oreca 05 is a LMP2 spec version of the Rebellion R-One essentially), it can be said that one can afford a non-hybrid LMP1 car--there's almost no way that Oreca and Onroak are making a profit off selling those cars at a price cap, but at the same time, I can't say that they'd cost insanely much more if sold as an LMP1 car.

Where things would get screwed there is if, one, the likes or Oreca or Onroak price gouge to make a profit margin buffer for special orders.

Scenario two of what would screw up the price point is if "factory" teams sell non-hybrid LMP1s. I'll bet that both points cover why the HPD LMP1 cars were so expensive--lack of a market, the need for a profit margin, and that HPD were making initial losses on the sales of their LMP2 spec cars.

Also, HPD were a "factory-backed" car maker, so they probably also charged a premium on top of that. I could only imagine what Audi, Toyota or Porsche would charge for a non-hybrid spec version of their cars. And I'd bet that someone would by them if there was a place to race them.

But then we get to the main reason why none of them are committed to such a thing: who would they sell them to, and where would they race. In short, there's no market, and no incentive for them to do such a project. And the same business case can be made for Oreca and Onroak, among others.
An interesting viewpoint and one I would think both Oreca & Oak would be interested in building a chassis for if there was a place to race other than the WEC.

Who knows, perhaps there are already people talking to either or both about doing a P1 version even for the WEC? I believe both the P2 coupe cars would be eligible more or less as they are for P1, or am I wrong?

We can see the Oreca in P1 as the Rebellion, doesn't take much imagination to see an Oak in P1 either, could be interesting, but I suppose it would depend on what engine?