Old 19 Oct 2021, 13:29 (Ref:4079100)   #28
W2Motorsport
Racer

United States
Pennsylvania, USA
W2Motorsport should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
You are mostly right W2 I see your point. Glad you got to be there in person. Great perspective. The cringe to see so much damage to Porsches, Ferraris, Audis, etc. These are not the spec stock cars the other series you mentioned has.

I have been into SRO racing since 2010. I think its awesome. Just disagree with their safety car procedures which is why I posted it on this thread. The more of them there are the more the flaws exposes themselves. We were able to avoid that at Spa. GT WC has been pretty good as a whole this year. The Indy 8 was the first stinker of the year honestly.

Back to the safety car. I go back and forth on who is worst with their safety car proceduers...IMSA or SRO. Probably IMSA ultimatey. I just don't like that SRO does the FCY while cleaning the track....then bunches the field for a safety car. IMSA has the wave around rules, the quick reaction to fly it for debris sometimes, and sepearting the classes at restarts. Go to youtube and watch the 2nd half of the IMSA Weathertech series race at Long Beach in 2017. That will show you why I liked the old way of doing things.
Yeah I totally understand that for sure. I think the divide is between the people here (lets say true endurance racing fans) and the average casual fans -- especially in America. The idea of one or two cars being on the lead lap at the end of the race is off putting to the majority of people even if those two cars deserved it.

My grandfather does not like road racing at all - he likes dirt and asphalt short track racing with the bumping and banging and the majority of cars on the lead lap and cautions to bunch up the field, etc. He often asks me how or why I like road racing because there isn't as much passing or action. He kept checking the Indy 8 Hours because I was there and I think he was trying to watch for me in the background on the broadcast or something but eventually he actually became interested in the race because of all the drama. When I talked to him on the phone the next day he told me how that was probably the most interesting road race he's ever watched.

It might not be the most true endurance race but it did have a lot of lead changes, a lot of action and a lot of drama. The pit strategy was fun to see play out bringing several cars back from a lap down multiple times (and the 99 back to contention for the win from a lap down twice). Ultimately all the cars are racing under the same rules so in a sense it is still fair although certain cars will be unlucky in certain races and others will be lucky. I do think trying to attract new fans to Endurance racing by having one or two cars on the lead lap is unlikely to be something that works. Even I get bored and tune out sometimes when the winner is a foregone conclusion with 2 or 3 hours to go.