Old 16 Jun 2004, 09:32 (Ref:1005628)   #9
Toth
Racer

Toth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: The Le Mans experience

My first as well, I got somewhat different experiences

Quote:
Originally posted by wyzard
I could not believe the cost of the ticket at around 40 pounds really did not get you anywhere within the circuit. Could not sit the grandstands (as this was extra) (even when they were empty at 3am!) could not get into the pits(as this was extra) could not get the mulsanne straight etc.... the only thing i could see was the start finish start and some of the gp track. It was badly organised in that it took forever to get anywhere within the circuit,
First of I only paid 32 euro's, but that's because I'm a student.

At night I could get into the grandstand (around 5 am) because nobody was checking for tickets anymore. I didn't go in though because there were lots other of places to view that I had paid for.

I saw: the corners before the pit-straight, all of the pitstraight (with view into the pits), and the corners following the pit straight. From both sides of the track.

Then there was the corner at the end of mulsanne, and a part of the straight following it.

Arnage and Indianapolis were easily accessible as well, although I didn't go there.

Porsche curves were easy to reach as well, a 2 minute walk from our camping wich can be reached by bus.

A bit more busses would have been nice, but I didn't get bored waiting. Maybe that's just me though.

Quote:
there was lack of toilets and the ones that were available you had to pay for!
I didn't have to pay for a single visit to the toilet or even for using the shower.

Quote:
I could not believe the number of people walking around not watching the race. I know people go there for the atmosphere and to get drunk but no one really seems to watch the racing. If I wanted to do that surely you could go to a football match!
Well, 24 hours is a long time, and I must admit I dozed of two times as well (which is not easy 20 meters next to accellerating corvettes!)

I had only one encounter with a drunk guy, but he fell of the hill we were one so that was no problem. Considering the length of time and the number of people involved I'd say that's not bad.

Can't comment on the ring, haven't been there yet. I'm sorry you didn't enjoy le mans. I had a great time and seem to have enjoyed everything you missed.