View Single Post
Old 26 Sep 2006, 14:23 (Ref:1720381)   #22
Nuvolari78
Rookie

Nuvolari78 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I never said that all you need is a quick engine to compete near the top, so you can break what you like. What i referred to was a reliable quick engine that would last a long time, and give my dollars back when the time came to move on. Paul Heavey no doubt does build good engines, but every one of Damian's is as quick as the next. Regarding which one is best, i go back to Ray Moore- he should know better than any other person in irish racing history, yet he bought from Doherty twice, and those were the only two titles he has won. Elliott won the park using a Heavey engine - where the hell was that engine for the rest of the season?!! In the 10 national championships since '97, (when the first Doherty engines were sold) a staggering SEVEN have been won using Doherty engines, with Paul Heavey's win in 2004 being the sole victory for Leastone engines. Incidentally, the other two were in 2002 when Enda O' Connor won with his self-built engine, and in 2003, when Brian Kelly won with a Mahon unit, when title leading & Doherty engined Dermot Doherty retired in the last race. I don't know much about other championships, but as far as i know Alan Whitty had a Doherty engine last year, and he dominated the 'C'. I would imagine anyone who has ever compteted in the 'C' with a Doherty has probably won it, as i think Paul Sammin did some years back, and maybe Brian Leader in 2004, but i'm not entirley sure.
Regarding your comment about Leastone, i have no time for people who stir s###. I haven't the slightest problem with Leastone, in fact i'm a fan. The car that got me started in all this was Finnian Coyle's ex-works Paul Heavey car, and their cars are fantastically engineered, the only irish vee chassis with inboard shocks. I also think that the new car looks beautiful, which is why i'd love to see Ken Elliott stick a Doherty engine in it, and complete what would probably be the ultimate package in irish f vee. I was bitterly disapointed that the whole Formula 5 thing turned out to be such a fiasco, because i thought that the idea was brilliant, the cars looked great, and it was the perfect solution to the 'millions' needed to compete comptitively in Formula Ford.
Best of luck training your Donkeys.