View Single Post
Old 22 Jun 2023, 13:04 (Ref:4164997)   #7
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The crowds were noticeable when I couldn't get tickets!

But having got there, Mulsanne/Arnage seemed no busier than usual during the week. And Mulsanne on Sunday afternoon was fine. The extended spectator area there has made a big difference.
Saturday is always the busiest day but it was a lot busier than usual. We got to Tertre Rouge on Saturday morning and hunkered down for the start. By 4pm it was the busiest I have ever seen there. People all the way up the bank into the trees.
But we had few significant issues with queues or traffic jams. One exception being trying to get out of Expo car park on Saturday night (about 1am Sunday actually). That took a while because the layout is bad. Pedestrians and cars sharing the only exit doesn't work. Especially when those pedestrians then cross the road at the exit, stopping the traffic. A separate pedestrian exit would help a lot.
There was also a queue for the museum. It moved pretty quickly but the heat made it seem longer.

But I agree with others that having experience of the event makes a big difference when you have to change your plans. It could have been quite daunting for a total newbie without a guide.

One thing that always amazes and pleases me is how quiet the roads in the surrounding countryside are during the event. No different this year.