View Single Post
Old 15 Apr 2024, 06:32 (Ref:4205003)   #35
coppice
Veteran

Australia
Thirsk, North Yorkshire
coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!coppice is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bauble View Post
Indeed, Peter, sadly us Old Gits view it as a celebration of times past, but Goodwood sees it as a Commercial Venture, designed to attract rich sponsors and paying punters, hence Touring car stars abound, 'celebrity drivers' multiply, and dubious standards excused.
Money talks, tradition walks.

Spectacular TV at the expense of sporting behaviour.

Bauble Sad Old Git 1st Class.
Well, I first went to Goodwood in 1999 and while I began to find the Revival a little too much of a panto , I adore the MM and have rarely missed one. Frankly, I don't care too much who is driving , I go to watch the cars . The fact they are not exact replicas of their in period counterparts does not keep me awake at night . And as long as drivers can cane the arse of their car , they can be former F1 or BTCC stars , or relative nobodies. As a mere civilian I don't know many drivers but the fact that everyone you meet is happy to chat is testament to a simply wonderful event.