View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2011, 17:38 (Ref:2985692)   #38
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
For what we know, the WEC is of interest in 2012 only because it will have three manufacturers in LMP1, and otherwise will be undersubscribed and disinteresting in every other class. What it does do, is dilute ACO racing entries into three series, instead of two, and you'll see poor LMS, WEC and ALMS grids now. Of course each series had issues of it's own to begin with, but to make moves to further weaken them wasn't the brightest overall move.

With BMW leaving ILMC/WEC next year, GTE Pro will be poor... so it will be down to the LMP1 cars. ALMS will have GT cars, LMS will have LMP2 cars....

North America will have one decent race, Europe three... I'm not sure sacrificing what were interesting North American and European series, was worth the races in China, Bahrain etc....

A field of six LMP1's hardly makes the WEC great, but then we also have to consider how the "regional" Le Mans series have been weakened too.
I completely agree with Fogelhund. The WEC makes a "World Championship" for those with the biggest budgets, but as a whole, I absolutely think it's weakening the sport.

EDIT - Whoops, I had meant to quote Simmi's post...