View Single Post
Old 24 Apr 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2448812)   #13
isynge
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!isynge is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by prototype View Post
I wonder how the ALMS is incorporated in this, if at all.
America's always done fine being adjacent to a world series but not part of it. Throughout the heyday of World Sportscars IMSA did perfectly fine, with similar rules, a lot of cross pollenation, and a mutually beneficial relationship.

I'd see the ALMS being perfectly able to exist alongside something like the LMS world championship - ideally we'd see rounds like Sebring and PLM being part of it, but if not I don't see this being a deal breaker at all.

And as far as the economy goes - lots can happen in 5 years - and if this year can support the LMS plus the Asian series then there's certainly scope for supporting something akin to a championship.

Is it desirable? I'm not that fussed to be honest - sportscars are so dominated by Le Mans that that will still be the focus of most teams, if it broadens the appeal of the series more widely and allows us to see sportscars in action on a different array of tracks, well, I guess I'd be happy enough to see it. If however it tries to become something much more all encompassing, insisting on complete entries to all rounds with punitive fines for missing fly away races, then I can't really see it working.