View Single Post
Old 16 Aug 2004, 17:26 (Ref:1068369)   #4
Phoenix1
Veteran

Phoenix1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that the actual racing has not changed but two things, in the UK at least, have.

1) Like him or not Murry Walker added spice to the races

2) Most races where not shown in full and therefor alot of the boring parts where cut out

3) No personalities being allowed to shine through at the moment, it's lost is gentlemens sport image. Even Jordan is not having as much fun these days.

4) Even without Murry F1 would seem more intreasting if the commentaters did not knock it all the time. I would like to see gears etc.. back but lets not pretend they are easy to drive.

5) Ralf fan - you mention overtaking and bravery, again the perseved image is the overtaking is dumb - Sato over taking might be slightly over the top at times but hey he tries, and I bet the sponsors love it. I can't see say McLaren ever having Sato but I bet secretly alot of people in the team would like that kinda gutsy driver, Kimi has some but never gets excited about it on camara.

6) We do all look back with rose tinted glasses

7) I think a fundemental problem with this era of racing is people losing respect for Ferrari and the sports ethos of winning. I realise the racing has always been a team sport take as far back as Fangio in 1956 usng 3 other team mates cars during the season including Peter Collins car, had Collins not handed over he would of won the championship. What I think today lacks in the racing of the team mates. We all know that if Rubens is ahead of Micheal he will slow down and if behind will not over take. I have no problem with two team mates not fighting to hard but swapping positions when in commanding lead seems somewhat over the top in the position they are in.

Overall F1 needs a personality again. A James Hunt, Aryton Senna etc... someone to love or hate with several people up for the championship, I would say that last year was a class year for example, you may not see it now but in 20 years image looking back, Williams coming from nowhere, McLaren the underdog coming so close and so much drama and controversy.

Let us remember the good times and hope for some new teams to come in and liven the place up!