View Single Post
Old 26 Jun 2018, 09:51 (Ref:3833164)   #15
valedave
Racer

United Kingdom
valedave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridvaledave should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Great thread! Thought a lot about various grandstands this year and which one would be best.

I was in T34 this year, after borrowing Walter's ticket there last year for the last six hours. Last year it was very handy as it's just above the media centre so very quick to hop back down and do some work. This year I didn't have that access though, unfortunately. Again, unfortunately, I also didn't find out about not having access until long after the ticket was purchased and paid for

It's brilliant for the start, and also for the finish, as the podium is right up there in front of you. It's really great to not have to fight your way through the crowds to get a good position for the start of the race – or sit there hours beforehand (as I have had to do in the past without a tribune ticket).

During the race, however, I found myself missing seeing the cars when the drivers have a bit of work to do, for want of a better phrase. It's just foot down out of the Ford Chicane and line it up for Dunlop. I could see Lotterer run wide at the start, for instance, but then they're already out of sight before anything "happens". It would have been the same for Lapierre/Trummer's incident in 2017 I imagine (I wasn't in the grandstand at that time).

This year it was *really* cold up there, with a biting wind from the south, particularly on Sunday morning. I had to wrap up in a jumper, but when I headed off for a drink I was suddenly boiling in the sun.

Question for any T34 veterans – is there a bar there or any toilet facilities? I didn't need to use them really, but I did wonder...

I sat in Raccordement for the end of Q3 and that was quite promising, although I found the view a little odd to be honest. Plus, the seats weren't that great and I couldn't imagine sitting there for hours or if the grandstand were packed.

Q2 and first half of Q3 I watched from Indianapolis – now the best place to watch the cars at the circuit IMO. You can see the cars at full chat and on the absolute limit into that right-hander (as Sven Müller showed when he lost it in Q3 right in front of me) or at their slowest as they turn in to Arnage – all within a five-minute walk. Overnight during the race I was at Tertre Rouge, which was also brilliant.

I think I'd like to try Dunlop in the future, or maybe T17 seeing as it seems to be quite popular here. Are tickets for T17 easy to get?