View Single Post
Old 20 Dec 2007, 16:44 (Ref:2092791)   #19
gwyllion
Veteran

Belgium
gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!gwyllion is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul-collins
It's interesting to note that the equivalent capacity for diesel vs petrol is even more in favour of the diesel in P2 than in P1.

ie the base for petrol P1 is 6L, the base for diesel is 16.17 (2.94bar x 5.5), so the ratio is 2.7
whereas the base for petrol P2 is 4L (homologated) and the base for diesel is 13.2, for a ratio of 3.3.
I am not sure if you are comparing things properly. The power engines can deliver is limited by air in theory; not really true for diesel in practice because they are limited by smoke

So I think you should just compare the restrictor size of turbo charged engines:
  • LMP1
    • turbo petrol: 46 mm
    • turbo diesel: 55.9 mm
    • restrictor size for petrol has 82.3% of diesel
  • LMP2
    • turbo petrol: 42 mm
    • turbo diesel: 53 mm
    • restrictor size for petrol has 79.2% of diesel

I think the difference between LMP1 and LMP2 engine rules is rather small. Remember that you have to start from a road diesel engine, and not from scratch like Audi and Peugeot did.