Thread: GT3: ACO style
View Single Post
Old 10 Jun 2022, 20:29 (Ref:4114098)   #18
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam43 View Post
It’s more cost. Not disputing. And probably no point.

But this is a relatively small cost and from what we’ve seen is not a barrier. We have GTE-Am with approximately 600 cars enter this year. People, Bronze people, are so up for racing these kind of cars at Le Mans. The market it there. I don’t think that the ACO are risking anything with this add on.
And how many of the drivers who own/fund the cars own GTE and GT3 versions, or Ferraris and Astons are out there ready to be converted? I'm sure the Ferrari would be pointless as the new car will come online and Aston may not make a kit but Dalla Lana likes an Aston and could find some money if he wanted to.

New (tin foil hat brigade) thought, the ACO knows who is willing to build a kit and the numbers are low. Thus allowing more Hypercar/GTP and LMP2 entries without having everyone cry why not more GT cars. If there are no cars then no one can enter

Of the current GT3 cars who would?

Porsche has already questioned why needed but would if someone funds it
Ferrari has a new car so maybe roll that in to development of it and charge everyone for it
Corvette loves LM and they COULD sell some but the age old, will Vette sell cars
Aston Martin has a GT3 that's around refresh time I think so could build it and has fans who run at LM

Lamborghini has teams who might consider it and could possibly adapt the GT2 body to save costs
Audi seems to be lost in the wilderness and I've seen rumors of the R8 death without replacement so....
MB well LM and MB, and AMG GT is being retired but new car all but assured
McLaren is interesting and again teams who might be interested in funding it
BMW has a new car and a decent following but with the GTP car would they?
Glickenhaus could in theory build one and may have customers who could fund it

Others out there seem to be longer in the tooth and on the way out without replacement