View Single Post
Old 13 Oct 2012, 20:51 (Ref:3151116)   #56
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by joeb View Post
I'm interested in how this new class plays out in the technology front. Many of today's sports cars are coming out with hybrids or alternative power trains and this trend will only continue. How do these higher tech cars fit into a formula that is supposed to be cheaper? I like the idea of cost savings but I don't want to see the cars dumbed down.
That's what the prototype classes and garage 56 are for, primarily.

Of course, all manufacturers want to be seen as green and innovative but you don't turn a petrol-burning supercar in to an even faster racing car whilst waving a Greenpeace flag. GT racing will always be about racing sportscars against one another, and things like hybrids will always be secondary.

Diesel engine, bio-fuels, hybrids and turbine engines have been part of prototype racing for decades now, whilst in GT racing, we're yet to see a hybrid or diesel.

I don't see GT3 cars as particularly dumbed down versions of GTE cars.

To me, this move makes sense. GTE is on the brink of being too expensive and over-the-top, while GT3 has clearly got a lot going for it, and even if you were to create a new rulebook that would wipe away half the world's GT3 teams, you still have a very very healthy formula!