View Single Post
Old 16 May 2023, 09:56 (Ref:4156361)   #1
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Monaco - Alternative Race Format?

This is something that I have said before on other threads, but I wonder whether it is time to rejig the Monaco weekend. It is clear that F1 cars outgrew this place many years ago. The modern F1 cars are too big and overtaking is practically impossible. I don't think that Monaco will ever be dropped from the calendar, but I wonder whether a traditional race around here is the best spectacle?

F1 has introduced sprint races, with those points counting towards the WDC / WCC. As such it is clear that F1 is open to other formats of racing that also count towards the championships.

How about a series of Race of Champions type match races? Two cars starting in different places on the track "racing" at the same time over 1 or 2 laps, knockout style. Winner goes through and the loser goes into a secondary competition to decide lower positions. Do a traditional qualifying to determine the initial draw. They could limit the softest tyres available for the whole event to throw in a bit of strategy.

They could even combine this sort of thing with a race of some kind as well - although even the Porsche super cup cars cannot actually overtake.

This is not something that I have panned out to the last detail, but surely the time has come with Monaco to think outside the box and do something different?