View Single Post
Old 7 Apr 2020, 01:53 (Ref:3969037)   #33
Casper
Veteran

Casper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCasper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
I disagree slightly with the point you make.
Whilst it is true, you are unlikely to see multi-element wings and barge boards on a standard road car, I can see carbon suspension (or a variant of) being a possible when it comes to weight saving.

The drive-by-wire throttle and semi-auto boxes are developments of the previous technology used in F1 - but I don't see them as direct descendants of.
I feel it is more a case of the knowledge gained from developing those technologies for use on a F1 car has been used to develop road-relevant applications.

When it comes to aero on a road car - whilst the solution may appear different it is still an application of the same knowledge and technology - particularly as the road car market strives for efficiency.

An article here discussed in detail the application of aero knowledge in commercial vehicles for instance.

Road cars are already sporting lots of innovative aero 'solutions' too - that may have developed from F1 knowledge banks:

A-Class Saloon - enclosed underbody to avoid disrupting the airflow, headlights seal flush with the bodywork.

Citroen beat that by decades without F1 help.

CLA BlueEfficiency - specially designed exhaust silencer and rear spoiler.

All OEM's have been doing this since the sixties. Straight through exhausts, no baffles in mufflers etc.

5 Series EfficientDynamics - active shutters for the kidney grille.

Again been done before, trucks and cars in cold climates have had this for many years.

Audi A4 2.0 TDI Ultra - developed from LMP designs.

Common rail in cars was what enabled Audi to go racing with diesels not the other way around.

Model S - work was put into ensuring air flowed smoothly around the front wheels.

Citroen beat them again and most probably Honda with their first BEV.

Ioniq - a multitude of deliberate contours and creases.

Look at the bonnet of a Renault R8 in the 1960's.

Numerous models are employing air curtains to manage the air over/around the car, and wheel design is as much led by aerodynamics as style on a lot of cars.
All the above were done without F1 technology and a lot of it many years before F1 even got serious with the stupid aero the series not allows and uses. CD figures used to be quoted in car road tests in the 1960's to prove that the OEM engineers were involved in serious aero study on road cars.