View Single Post
Old 15 Aug 2022, 14:01 (Ref:4122862)   #221
Richard C
Veteran

Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!Richard C is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
in other words, Ric's ongoing struggles are just now of much more importance because their current cars struggles (which has kind a been a not much talked about story this year?). both at the same time suck for sure but which one is the underlying problem, the driver or the car?
As to driver or car, I think it is probably both. What has really hurt Daniel is that Lando is making it work well enough to show a large delta between the two. Is that because Daniel is bad or that Lando is just that good. Again, I think it's a bit of both (Daniel being "bad" is a bit strong, but you get my point).

Lando has also spoken out about the challenges with the car. See article below in which he comments about how it doesn't suit his style. There are any number of articles or YouTube videos that show side by side comparisons between Daniel and Lando and it's clear that Lando is able to adapt more to what the car is expecting than Daniel. So it just looks like Daniel has a specific operating window around his capabilities. Give him a car that suits his style and he flies, but otherwise he can be outshined by his teammate.

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/n...-car/10352607/

As to McLaren disappointing. I get it. But given how it wasn't too long ago that we were discussion the health and potential longevity of McLaren (mostly a financial question). I think they are doing well enough. Also, this is just a weird year in which while everyone had an opportunity to "get it right" and blitz the field, you also have a field of ten teams and they all have the same opportunity. Just look Mercedes. They are generally a well oiled machine (they do seem to be hemorrhaging staff to other teams), but even they got it wrong and have taken a full half season to get back to somewhat competitive. I think we should see closer parity next season from McLaren and others. This assume McLaren knows "why" their car is not performing well.

Richard