View Single Post
Old 25 Feb 2022, 14:45 (Ref:4100253)   #23
chernaudi
Veteran

United States
Mansfield, Ohio
chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!chernaudi has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTD View Post
I wonder if the invasion of Ukraine and the sanktions against Russia, the bank and individuals will affect the entry list?
We all know there is a rather large amount of cash originating from russian banks, which could be frozen!

As of now, the FIA and FOM have confirmed that the Russian GP at Sochi has been cancelled, and Mazepin's future at Haas isn't guaranteed.

Mazepin's father, remember, is a big-wig at Gazprom, and Rusinov at G-Drive is another Gazprom official.

Granted, I don't know if AF Course still has any ties to SMP Bank, but SMP Bank is for sure under sanctions and has been since 2014.

Of course, the sanctions are intended to get the oligarchs to turn on Putin and economically bleed Russia white, which has a history of working--look at how the US and NATO won the Cold War. And Russia's GDP last it was checked was like 1/6th of the combined GDP of the former Warsaw Pact countries that are now NATO/EU members. So it can be done.

I don't really want to get political, since in-sport politics in racing is bad enough most of the time, but this is the real world sadly.