View Single Post
Old 22 May 2002, 08:31 (Ref:292281)   #3
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Re: Performance Comparison 2

Quote:
Originally posted by Mal
We have all heard that the 917 etc of 1970/71 were some of the quickest cars ever at Lemans, but are there any circuits that have remained in tact enough to compare the lap times of those cars to the fastest cars of today?
No objective datas, but to answer to your pertinent question, we can see that, despite A LOT of new curves (dunlop esses, La Chapelle esses, Hunaudières essesx2, new Porsche part, one of the two Ford esses...) and much more engine and shape restrictions, the gap between the 917 best lap and the best lap of last PQ is only 17 seconds...

When I check on the old video recordings of 1970/71, I can see that the 917 was really difficult to drive...

No common mesure between the 917 and the Audi... the 30 years are really here and the progress is real... two different worlds... at my opinion !