View Single Post
Old 13 Nov 2023, 20:41 (Ref:4185753)   #20
Mike Harte
Veteran

United Kingdom
W. Yorkshire
Mike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike Harte will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerard C View Post
I do remember we had this kind of discussion on here with Mike B, theme was "how do you say Dad/Mum don't you think you should stop driving" or the like.

I had this very discussion with my father when he was 93, and it didn't go at all well; it did feel wrong having to tell my father what to do. And, although up to that point he had caused a couple of fender benders, he still believed that his reaction speed was as good as when he was a young man, it really wasn't the case. Worse still, his doctor believed that he was and had been suffering from a number of mini strokes, which caused him to fall, and he being unable to remember why he was lying on the ground or floor.

In the end, I had to ask his GP to step in, and she told him in no uncertain terms that he was to stop driving instantly, or she would advise the DVLA to revoke his licence. At this point, I was visiting him every day, and for a few days he refused to speak to me, which in some respects was a blessing because that meant that he didn't phone me at about 3 or 4 in the morning to remind me about something that he had already mentioned at least a half a dozen times in the last few days.