View Single Post
Old 26 Oct 2020, 10:02 (Ref:4013135)   #23
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well, that was fun. Changeable weather in the morning made for some interesting lines in qualifying, add to that a need to change spark plugs in my stint and a couple of safety car periods, none of us really go to grips with the car. Tim has never driven the MG so I went out to bed in new brake pads, planning to do three laps only. The first lap was scuppered due to an Elan in the old pits wall so we all came back in. Good for the pads but when the lights went green my car wouldn't start so we changed the plugs and off I went. A further lap on a very greasy track and an in lap was all I got.

Tim took over and after his first lap the safety car appeared, he put some times in with a best lap of 3:12 which put us 56th of 58 cars. Ken was a bit slower than Tim but both were much faster than me. Hey ho.

We put Tim in the car for the first stint and he made some great progress, best lap was 2:52.8, the best MGB lap was 2:49.4 so not bad for a first time in the car. At the end of the first hour we were 34th. Then Ken got his turn and we were 45th when, ten minutes before the end of his stint he came into the pits sadly to retire. Head gasket. This is a recurring theme with the car and I'm not sure what we can do, but it is rebuild time so we can check the block and the head and take the necessary action.

Although I didn't get to drive in the race I had an exciting day. We were pinged in qualifying for a non working transponder. Unsurprising really, because it was, at the time, in the office at home! So, a quick trip home and back whilst charging the transponder in the car and we were good to go! Phew!

Thanks should go to MRL for organising what was a great event, which although we all hope will never be needed again, would be a great way to complete the season. Also to the RAC for providing coffee and snacks to one and all throughout the day.