View Single Post
Old 30 Jun 2020, 07:46 (Ref:3984611)   #731
crmalcolm
Subscriber
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by midgetman View Post
It's a simple adaptation of the Hierarchy of Needs.

Recently I bought a car I thought did everything. But it didn't do some things quite as well as I thought so now I've got two vehicles to cover those bases, but one of those isn't perfect so I need a third to cover another situation. I still haven't sold the original car, but I will.
In a similar vein to this - and possibly an indication that the approach and mentality to car purchases may need to change over the coming years, Top Gear have produced a 10-step guide for those thinking of buying an EV.

Some interesting comments that I have carefully selected - some may even say cherry-picked:

'Even the cheapest electric cars are still quite expensive. Of course, there are deals to be had, but usually EVs are a few grand dearer to buy outright, or about £100 per month more on PCP than a comparable internal combustion-powered car.'

'On average Brits only drive 20 miles a day and lots of range typically costs lots of money, so before you spend big on that Model S, I-Pace or Kona, it’s worth thinking about how much of it you strictly need. You can always rent another car for longer journeys.'

'pay attention to the range computer. ‘Enthusiastic’ driving, cold weather and liberal use of the air-con all hobble range'

'It’s not as simple as just rocking up and plugging in. Some chargers let you pay as you go with a contactless credit or debit card, but others need you to have an account set up and a specific app on your phone'

'EVs are great, but they aren’t the second coming. Or maybe they are.'