View Single Post
Old 5 Apr 2006, 12:05 (Ref:1571355)   #24
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Griffin
Tom W got involved in 82 with the 2 Sanyo cars and Patrick Motors ran 2 for Rex Greenslade and Brian "Yogi" Muir. 83 saw the introduction of GpA and Series 2 SD1s again with TWR running Sanyo colours and Hepolite.
I thought that TWR actually took over the whole DPR Rover set up Can anyone confirm this?
As Nordic mentioned, Dougall was the second driver in '82. Greenslade was Muir's teammate in the previous season. Dougall had been pretty dapper in single seaters but his career hit the stops when he got to F2. Had a couple of BMW and Capri outings before the SD1 effort i think?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
The Sanyo sponsorship carried on into 84, but the 'Austin Rover Fleet' sponsorship of the 1984 ETCC cars was also seen in Britain in 84- (usually driven by Soper?)

After TWR pulled out of the British series midway through 84, there were 2 further appearances- Walkinshaw's one-off outing at Brands in 85, using an unsponsored Bastos car (mentioned earlier in the thread), and a pair of 'Herbie Clips' backed cars at the British GP meeting at Brands in 86- a 1-2 finish for Allam and Schlesser
Yes, TWR entered 'Soperman' in the opening round at Donington where he was second and later the Whitsun Thruxton event which he won with the Blue/Green car. I can't recall if that car did any others? I suspect he was there as a 'Rouse baiter' as TWR already knew the Sanyo cars were up against it with Rouse's car!

What was the real reason Lovett got replaced by Schlesser? At the time it was described as 'business commitments'. Certainly he'd either badly pranged or totalled 2-3 cars by mid season, and had been great entertainment!

I'd completely forgotten about the '86 GP entries!! Wonder which cars they were - they were definitely white (the ex Bathurst '84 or Pacific '85 cars?) I bet one of them became the Istel backed TT Hulme/Allam winner later that year, the same car that then went onto David Carvell?

Also going back to an earlier point I made, I wonder if the ex TWR Marlboro coloured car ocassionally seen in '87 BTCC driven by Bill Griffin, was the ex- Metge French car? Or was it a Dutch Grp A car, as Marlboro backed several people in that series during the 80's and he may have bought it from there.