View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2010, 05:27 (Ref:2640707)   #16
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by miatanut View Post

So, as far as learning from past mistakes, what is there to learn?

I think what there is to learn is that the sport was at its best when it was run by the people with gasoline running in their veins. There were legions of fans like myself who in the mid to late '80's switched loyalty from F1 to CART as their favorite open wheel series because it was a series they could afford to watch in person from one to several times a year, and could walk the paddock and see cars not much slower than F1 cars up close and personal.

Then, somebody had to strangle the golden goose, so we are back to F1 fans, watching from afar.

The only hope for the future would be the people with gasoline in their veins taking the sport back. Something I hope the Delta Wing group does.

If that happens, I have absolutely no doubt the sport will climb out of the pit it's in. Of course if that happens, the argument will be it was because the economy improved, so that was going to happen anyway (conveniently ignoring the decline of the sport during the go-go mid '00's).
Definitely passion is a huge part of the sport and something that has been lacking for sometime. A lot of it started with tony georges monotone total lack of enthusiasm.

I don't think the delta wing per se will change things completely if you still have the same people in charge.