View Single Post
Old 26 Feb 2010, 07:01 (Ref:2640728)   #18
JagtechOhio
Veteran

United States
Powell, Ohio USA
JagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJagtechOhio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Trying my best not to editorialize, I think you only have to read Delta Wing's website to realize what a big deal this is.

This effort is not about the design of a concept vehicle, or a way to restructure the supply chain to reduce costs. Considering the backgrounds of the management involved, and the team owners who have endorsed it, this is the framework for a completely autonomous organization.

What direction this organization chooses to take is a question that very few seem concerned about. The Delta Wing vehicle is not at all likely to be accepted as the chassis platform by the IndyCar Series management. There are enough clues to point to a strong belief that IMS and IICS management have far more to gain by selecting an existing manufacturer who will build an Indianapolis facility to supply the next iteration of the series. Their are logical reasons to presume that an evolutionary race car will be far less disruptive to the way IICS currently manages competition.

Delta Wing has progressed past the point of IICS oversight; they have selected an engine independant of (non-existant) IICS rules; and they have timetabled construction of a prototype that will be completed long after the IICS has pledged to announce their selection of the sole chassis manufacturer.

Apololgies to those who look at this information as obvious, but few seem to recognize the significance. The Delta Wing will be built, the owners are behind it, and the IICS has more reasons to reject it than accept it.

Accompanying this initiative is the stated intention of the owners to establish control of the decision making for specifications. None of this reads to me like a cooperative effort between management and team owners: it's much more likely that battle lines have already been established.

IICS was fully represented at the Chicago Auto Show, and gave a public perception of interest and cooperation with Delta's presentation. This came after they had been blasted in the press in an article endorsed by Delta charter member and Panther Racing owner John Barnes.

The team owners don't seem to be concerned about what the IICS thinks, in my opinion. The Delta Wing vehicle was to be displayed, on Series partner Firestone's stage, whether IICS officials were in attendance or not. The vehicle will be built with or without the IICS rubber stamp.

This all works out fine if IICS completely caves to the demands of the coalition that is comprised by all of the significant team owners. Or sells the IICS to the Delta Wing group, and IMS simply negotiates a deal for their participation at the 500.

I don't see it working out any other way. IMS is not viable without participants, and an IndyCar Series is not viable without the 500. Team owners are united, and committed to their roadmap for the future.

The Delta Wing is not a choice, it is a mandate. Lack of public support may be of concern to potential sponsors, but will not substantially alter the roadmap that Delta will follow.

Apologies if you consider all this as an editorial. I think it is a logical conclusion, based on a read of how the alliances have been shaped from both sides of the issue. If you think it will all develop for the best, particularly in the context of the economic climate that surrounds IndyCar racing today, you are an optimist.

And I hope you are right.

Last edited by JagtechOhio; 26 Feb 2010 at 07:07.