View Single Post
Old 15 Feb 2021, 22:55 (Ref:4035346)   #396
canaglia
Veteran

canaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridcanaglia should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyldStallion View Post
Good point. When McLaren had their first GT3 car in 2012 I think it was, it was quite popular. I think the Blancpain Endurance Series had 10 of them in one race that year. They have had good teams over the years like Hexis, Garage 59, KPax, but none of them stuck with them. Makes me think their customer service side of the equation is lacking
yes and not, for sure it was way more popular than now of course, but things weren't that great. If I am not wrong, mp4-12c gt3 debuted in 2011 spa 24H with 3 cars, one had a huge crash, another one or both got bbq during the race. Need to consider that mp4-12c and 650S gt3 production and development was made by a third party (mclaren GT = CRS racing) that it wasn't actually a very big tuner compared to R8, Z4, SLS or 911 teams that were using cars made directly by the manufacturer and could receive somehow official support that mclaren teams hadn't (alvaro parente onboard aside).
In late 2011 were sold many mclaren because was a bit cheaper and teams were receiving a spare parts pack included in the price, but due unreliability/bbq attitude many teams dropped the car after one or two seasons. If memory helps me mclaren won only 2 not national championships, 2013 gtopen gts class and overall BES in 2016 with garage59 (plot twist... G59 it's basically CRS new name).
With 720S gt3 release, mclaren dropped CRS and took full duties on production and development, but there are really few around, most of them in british gt and gtopen and performance wise well... it isn't a top gt3 for sure, despite being closer to a hypercar than a gt.