Old 30 Mar 2008, 22:00 (Ref:2165593)   #45
corliss
Racer

Australia
Northern Ireland
corliss should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by KA
now that's a real mystery...As I remember, wasn't there some intention of competing on some kind of marathon event behind the original developments of the SD1 for rallying- wonder if there was any crossover from that? I'm tempted to speculate whether there was any involvement with Rene Metge- didn't he do Dakar several times, Range Rovers come to mind....?
I have backtracked through my research and found that this photo was actually of the the young lad, it was taken in the Place De La Concorde, Paris, 1984. The car was incidental, but historically interesting as I can find no further information. studying the registration plate it is in the "french" style but not in a sequence I have seen on french registrations, so maybe not a french entry? Having said that there has been a Rover advertised recently claiming to be an ex factory car built for long distance marathons, it is a 2 door!! but underbonnet shots look remarkedly like the early factory cars, also has the roof air vents used by factory. Also in 1991 I was offered for sale an ex factory rally car I have never heard of since, it was built by BL for the Himalaya rally and carried the names of 3 ladies who`s names I cannot remember, it had a 4.2ltr engine on 4 sidedraught webers, Dry sumped, a ZF box and Jag 4HA axle, 3 fuel tanks, twin rear shocks, still covered in dust and mud, exactly as rallied, and if I remember correctly painted in Daily Mirror colours, Red/White. Definately a genuine "works" car. It was in a dealers shed somewhere near Waltham Abbey, he also had lots of factory 6R4 stuff including a very rare 2.5 rover based v6 engine ( the original cut down V8 ) I was prepping a circuit race car so did not bother with it, I could kick myself!

Obviously this car has changed over the years, but was it really a "factory" car? seller claims it was one of a couple built by BL Motorsport for rally raids, even has roof vents seen on French car.

Skip