Old 23 Feb 2013, 10:54 (Ref:3209492)   #34
Puzzle
Rookie

New Zealand
New Zealand
Puzzle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lynx View Post
From 1999 to 2004 (I think), the GT1 cars had tubing front and rear. Only the chassis part where driver was seated had to be an original part IIRC. they didn't actually have an awful lot in common with their roadgoing counterpart. Basically only engineblock, headers and a part of the chassis that contained the a-pillars and the roofline.

From that aspect I like both GTE and GT3 better, as they are closer to a production car.
I think you are thinking of the GT500 class in SuperGT/JGTC which matches your description to a tee whereas no ACO class by the name of GT1 does. There was no GT1 in 1999 as the class formerly known by that name and which had basically become full prototypes any way had become LMGTP and the class below that was still (to my knowledge) known as GT2. Even then I'm fairly certain at no stage between 1999 and now has there been a class in ACO racing that allowed tube frame silhouettes.

As to the nissan announcement I'll think it is something in particular when nissan say it is something in particular whilst quietly keeping my fingers crossed that it is a P1