Thread: Pre 66 Viable?
View Single Post
Old 29 May 2013, 11:46 (Ref:3254955)   #10
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Well my 1970 car has been accepted into CSCC Swinging Sixties and is where I will give it a go in the future. I cannot be asked to race on front sliding caliper brakes and rear drums as fitted to the 2nd Gen with no factory four pot fronts or rear discs as fitted as an option to the 1st gen cars but no problem with CSCC where I can run what I want provoded they fit within 15" rims, I raced with the sliding calipers once and had to have special pads made at a fortune and the lasted one race and bent like a banana and faded at the end of the Revitt, only for the brave or fool hardy IMO. I can also race it as light as I can get not the massive weight I have to in some series. IMHO for a car of this weight and power its folly and as for getting it through an MoT for some classes and / or driving it to the circuit, well that is just a joke for a race car imho. Some of these tight regs makes racing old cars extremelly expensive and will only get worse as genuine parts like 289 V8 Ford blocks slowly disappear they are already asking a premium for them. I have also tred to use old rotton genuine cylinder heads and had big problems in the past when after market reliable copies are off the shelf it makes no sense to me.

Last edited by Al Weyman; 29 May 2013 at 11:54.