View Single Post
Old 29 Aug 2018, 15:29 (Ref:3846902)   #60
Jay Laifman
Rookie

United States
So Cal
Jay Laifman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm adding one here - even though I don't have a Mk3-5. We just bought a Mk6 and are trying to track its history. The factory notes say that the first purchaser was "HOUNTINGLY." We suspect this is not a real name. We understand these names were handwritten by someone after hearing the names orally. One current thought is that this was really something like "Hun-Ting Lee." We also note that an early Mk6 (60/06) was sold to a "LEE." So perhaps this is the same person. We're also told that these names could be the actual buyer, or a shop that is getting the car for the buyer, or an employee at the shop.

As an aside, another possibility we explored was "Hunton Ganley" for "Hountingly" the racer from New Zealand, who in 1962 wrecked his Lotus 11, needing a new car, and moved to the UK - so a possibility. However, I actually spoke with Hunton, and it wasn't him.

The reason I'm posting here is that I'm wondering if there might be a "Lee" who purchased an earlier Elva, and I might be able to get more information on him.

I am ordering the book. But my family is always struggling to find a birthday present for me. So they are insisting that they get this for me, but wait until my birthday. So I can't search the race results to see if any show a "Lee" or "Hong-Ting Lee" or something similar. I have searched racingsportscars.com with no luck. The Watkins Glen archives did not have anything either.

Also, one other question. So many of these cars were sold out of Haas in Chicago. Are there any former Haas employees still around? I'd love to ask them if they might remember Hountingly or Lee at their shop.