View Single Post
Old 28 Mar 2003, 15:16 (Ref:551168)   #65
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Smaller engines running that hard over many hours, on the surface, would really jump out at me....you have any kind of glitch on one cylinder, a valve, whatever, and you've lost 25% of your power in the MG...A v-8 can limp, at least for a while, on 7 cylinders and still not be in as dire straits as a four-banger...

However, Le Mans is really the only 24-hour race that these cars run under these specs...Daytona and Grand Am are a different ballgame...

as mentioned before, the final MG running last year at LM ultimately blew the engine, but it was fairly late in the race (20th hour or so??? -- can't remember specifically, so help me out MG fans!)...
their problem in other shorter races seems to be components....

I think that at some point, the 675s either have to find a balance between speed and reliability or the engines are going to have to become bullet-proof to go as hard as they run them for 24 hours...

Last year (2002), an MG ran the full 12 hours at Sebring and was in the Top Ten (7th or 8th?), and suspension problems were what cost them time and places in the standings...

One American Open Wheel Series!