View Single Post
Old 17 Oct 2012, 22:32 (Ref:3153599)   #140
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Gwyllion, you make a brilliant point regarding early-mid 2000s GT2-style racing.

If the rules are too strict in GT racing - even more so than Touring Cars or other forms of racing based on road-going vehicles - then variety inevitably suffers.

I personally don't care who is running to what rules, so long as the racing is close and diverse. Unfortunately, diversity often brings a lost of cost - and both GTE and GT3 are beginning to get too expensive. Both categories worldwide enjoy great success, with close racing, quality entries, and healthy grid sizes (I count the WEC in this given the current economic climate).

But GTE and GT3, like any formula would, both have limited shelf lives. Anyone with any knowledge of the sport can tell that GTE and GT3 are at their peak (GTE, arguably, has gone past it), and so naturally, something has to change before things go downhill. And when things go downhill in sportscars, boy, do they tumble!

A unified GT category embracing many different types of cars whilst trying to keep costs down just makes sense. A formula where the most proffesional teams and the manufacturers can do the big races and championships, like Le Mans and WEC, whilst the small teams can still afford to do BEC and smaller local series.

That might sound difficult to do, but rule makers make difficult jobs even harder through making some blinding errors. The sensibility seen in this proposal gives me some confidence that this can happen.