View Single Post
Old 1 Aug 2023, 07:31 (Ref:4170886)   #45
Mike E
Veteran

Mike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMike E will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
I think most teams so far are using fairly old engines. Isn't the Porsche unit loosely based on the old P2 engine? the BMW unit the M6 GT engine> Caddy obviously have used that lump for years. No idea on Toyota but I would guess that is the same lump basically as when they dropped the v8 in LMP1. Not sure on Peugeot

but it is damned expensive to make a new engine from scratch, hence why most manufacturers either use old stuff or go outside for it.
Porsche is derived from the P2 engine via the 918.
BMW is derived from their DTM V8.
The Toyota is a new engine for Hypercar. The LMP1 engine was 2.4 litres and Hypercar is 3.5 litres
The Caddy is apparently new. Related to the Corvette C8?
The Peugeot is new, as far as I know.
Acura is their next gen Indy car engine.