View Single Post
Old 6 Apr 2005, 12:32 (Ref:1271673)   #9
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitzi dude
When you guys get new marshals, either flag, rescue, what insentives do you give them? I did a news paper add last year Got 8 replys but they were only interested in our big meetings not the small ones. So how do you keep them on.? Any new ideas would be appreciated thanx. Rob.
Thats a difficult question to answer Rob.

I think first and foremost is that you put them with an experienced team and if possible on a busy post for the first few meetings. It's essential that the post chief makes sure he/she is available to answer any questions and to encourage the new marshal to get involved with as many of the days clear ups as is possible.

I take it one step further when I have new marshals on post with me and get them flagging a couple of practice sessions. This gives them a better understanding of how hard a flaggies job is and also helps them to appreciate the different flags.

Try to get the new marshals to move to different posts at each meeting, this gives them a better aspect of racing from different vantage points. Try also to get them to spend a day in assembly, race control, pits, paddock so that they get a rounded idea of the different disciplines of marshalling.

The worst thing you can do is to put them on a post where the other marshals ignore the new person or where they don't offer to help. It's a very daunting time being trackside for the first few times!

Last edited by Stephen Green; 6 Apr 2005 at 12:33.