Thread: IMSA: 2020
View Single Post
Old 21 Aug 2019, 11:20 (Ref:3923620)   #57
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chernaudi View Post
Remember that DPIs had to be repeatedly cranked back until this season to approx. LMP2 speeds. Even though IMSA added weight to the LMP2s late last season (and I'm assuming this season), that was done with ACO approval. Also, LMP2 initially was the spec that was baseline for DPI performance. However, DPIs were allowed development that base LMP2s weren't, which was a big reason for the pegging back of DPIs the past couple of years until this season.

That all being said, if the ACO and IMSA did allow a power boost for LMP2s in IMSA, it's probably doable. The 4.5 liter Gibson V8 that Rebellion is using is based on the 4.2 liter LMP2 V8 with (I assume, since Gibson hasn't released the info on it) a larger bore and (for sure) being adapted to fuel flow instead of using an air restrictor like the LMP2 engine does.
With who's money?? That's always the catch and everyone is willing to spend and spend but who is funding it?? IMSA sure as hell isn't, the ACO wouldn't be interested at all, and Gibson has a business building them to spec X, why suddenly offer Y for a market that just isn't there?

And I'm pretty sure the reason for restricting the DPis back is they are paying for the cars. LMP2 runners were promised buy a car and race it, no development needed. Now to change the rules and say well that's too slow, no fund making it faster?? Hell buy a Caddy at that rate and be done, no development crew, testing, parts sourcing needed, it's turn-key and fast.